Friday, July 20, 2007

Chicago on company time



‘Bee Healthy, Bee Happy’, I am sporting my t-shirt, obviously, there’s a bee on it, the same little bugger from the Honey Nut Cheerios box. A gift from a Food Tradeshow, yes, this is the part of my ‘other life’ as a food scientist/product developer for that conglomerate food company. I am just trying to pay the bills, folks, at least for now. Anyways, I attended the show to support our company and showcase my newly developed products, this year in lovely, Chicago. Wooo-hoooo, yes this entails extraordinary meals and endless drinks on the company….!!!! Okay, I failed to mention these big companies have gignormous perks. This being my third appearance in Chicago, I researched, googling the best restaurants. The first night, with company peeps, they chose the Palm, decent steaks and sides, but there are much better steakhouses out there. Let’s talk my choices, next night, the North Pond. The restaurant situated in Lincoln Park overlooks nonetheless a pond with fireflies blinking restlessly, reminiscent of youth, a scene so picturesque, I couldn’t help but sip on a glass of Prosecco to start. Aa solid meal indeed. Nominated James Beard (the Oscars of food), Chef Bruce Sherman was expediting himself! For the last night, a great meal of Pan-Asian at Aria, see picture. Lobster and scallop stir fry with noodles, plus a great mezze plate of Daal, Tatziki, and Hummus with fresh Naan bread. With vast food options and chefs to choose from, Chicago is cool town. A city that is extremely manageable, where the people are actually friendly, and borders one of the great lakes, I’d really consider moving there. Wait, weather….right, I am dying when the temperature is below 50 degrees in LA…no way would I survive the winter…and yes, the humidity, killed me. I am way too spoiled in LA!

















No comments: