Friday, February 23, 2007

Salad 101

I started with a trip to Trader Joe's. In my opinion, they have the bestbbagged Salad options with reasonable prices. I accidently picked up the Herb Salad mix and did not realize it until I was prepping. I love the herbs, cilantro & parsley, this is what makes it!

Ingredients:
Herb Salad (Trader Joe's - bagged), Fuji apples, hard boiled egg, Tahini dressing with lemon, and Sesame water crackers (Carter's). The crackers give a nice texture but not overwhelming like nuts or croutons. The tahini dressing is good if you like seseame seeds( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahini). FYI, Tahini is an ingredient in Hummus.

To make the dressing:
1 cup Olive Oil**
3 T of Tahini
1 T of Vinegar (any but I prefer Champagne)
1 T of Lemon
Salt and Pepper to taste
Add all ingredients but oil and mix, then, slowly whisk in oil until evenly blended.
**I used Olive Oil straight from Italy. Extra Virgin is generally for salads and cold dishes while regular Olive Oil is for actual cooking.

Dressing the salad is vital and many restaurants forget this;
Salt and pepper the greens, then add dressing sparilingly, not so that the dressing clings to the greens weighing it down. The greens should be able to stand up by itself, piling up on a plate, almost individually. Yep, perfection!

No comments: