Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Jerry








On Wednesday, October 10th, 2007, Jerry passed away at the age of 7. Jerry, a beautiful and ‘handsome’ Beagle belonged to my cousin, Tina and was apart of her family. He lived a good life as he was rescued 2 years ago in April of 2005. I never will forget when Tina found him because it was only a week after that she visited me in Philly. She spoke about him highly and how there was an instant ‘connection’, almost like a love at first sight. I could not grasp what she meant and actually felt she was insane, but would come to understand when I moved to LA, 2 months later.

I would like to explain, my love for dogs has never been….well…vocal…I only loved one dog in my life, and that was my aunt’s beloved Ginger, when I was 8. When I met Jerry, I brushed him off like any other yappi dog. He was quite jumpy, lively and on one of my first encounters with him, he felt the need to search my backpack and scattered each piece of clothing all over the floor. This did not start us off on the right foot. It took me awhile (about a year) to forgive the fella.’ I decided to break the ice by taking him for a run around the neighborhood one day. Tina specifically warned me not to do this because he had bad legs, but I didn’t listen and we ran throughout the Pasadena ‘hood-- carefree, hate to say it but we bonded and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves!

Jerry always loved Tina, he followed her around constantly and unlike his brother, Jax, all eyes were on her. He was really in love with her and she loved him, and for this, I grew to love him too. I am not going to lie and say we agreed on the views of life….for instance, me yelling at him to get out of the kitchen when I cooked and how he never obeyed me, as I yelled, ‘come here’, but Jerry was who he was. In fact, I am quite envious of him, loyal, carefree, and at peace, things us humans strive for all our lives, he did it in 2 years with Tina.

Jerry, may you rest in peace, as you helped me remember how to love a dog again. I wish I could have given you more of my cooking. Please say hi to Tiffy for me and tell her I love her so much, she’s a great little cat! RIP, you are loved and will be missed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Tram-Anh,
I knew I would get emotional if I read your tribute to Jerry. Sure I did, doubly emotional when you mentioned about my beloved Ginger. Thank you, Tram-Anh for a moving piece and our thanks to Jerry, Tiffy, Ginger, Sandy...for giving us so much happiness.
Love, co Thao

Anonymous said...

Cuz, it took me a while to get around to writing about your lovely blog about Jerry; mostly because I was sadly emotional.

Your tribute to him is lovely. I can say he was quite fond your visits especially when you made him run through the pasadena neighborhood with a bad leg.

thanks for your kind words and appreciating his energy.