Friday, June 27, 2008

Kitchen Impossible


















I’ve known Carly and her family since I was 12. I remember arriving to her old house in my blue station wagon a.k.a Blue Bomber and the place was always bustling. She has 2 dogs and 2 younger sisters and there is always much action. I'm not used to growing up around it but found the dynamics endearing and entertaining. One weekend during college, since Gerlyn and I always heard Carly rant and rave about her mom’s dish we requested that Mrs. Gomez prepare Arroz con Pollo, one of my first ventures with Cuban food.

Since becoming a chef, Mrs. Gomez has been requesting that I cook and finally we found a weekend that Carly and I were home at the same time. Before the trip, she kept on warning me how her house can be loud, I reassure her, I remember. A half an hour before she picks me up, she texts, ‘Really, it’s chaotic here, be prepared.’ This still doesn’t deter me because after all, I’ved cooked for 50 people, surely a family of 5 will be cake!

We arrive to her house about an hour later then anticipated. Already, I feel rushed ….I put her sisters immediately to work, Jackie a.k.a. Lil J, the veteran cook shows me where everything is. OMG, girlfriend has a full set of Shun knives, yes, this is my brand of choice! Not only that, the kitchen is fully equipped with a Kitchen Aid and vast selection of bowls and pans, not to mention a mini working station. Yes, this should be easy, as I am thinking this; I look over to the sink and it’s over flowing with ‘sewer’ water. Hence, we could not wash nor clean anything including our hands. Still, not really a huge deal as Carly buckets out the dirty water. I put Rebecca a.k.a. Becks to work and get her started on the Chocolate Mousse. Suddenly, I feel my contact lens acting up, for 15 minutes I struggle with it, and finally it rips and I find myself cooking one-eyed. Next, I hear much commotion and the smell of Lysol is becoming apparent, oh wait, the cleaning ladies are here vacuuming and scrubbing today!

I’m cool, I’m cool, the next hour is smooth with much picture taking by my new photographer, Becks, also the Champagne is popped! We are ready to finish by poaching eggs, then, boom, the electricity goes off. Ohhhhhh shuuuuuucks, Carly and I smile, this is too funny. I pose the question of using another heating mechanism like the fireplace….and keen Mrs. Gomez suggests the grill, YESSSS, Lil’ J suggests using the Le Creuset pot so the water will boil faster, double YESSSSS! Of course as we are waiting for the water to boil on the Grill, it starts to rain on us, again, Carly and I smile, hysterical at this point.

Brunch is served at 4:00 initially it was supposed to be at 2. My guests are very patient especially as I mess up their kitchen with dishes piling up feverishly due to the ineffective sink. All and all it was a great time, long overdue with many laughs and memories. It may have had its challenges but it was one of the funniest and honest meals I have cooked. Thank you to the Gomez Family for inviting me into your home and making me extremely comfortable.

No comments: