Saturday, February 23, 2008

Cooking in SF





I have been on a rampage, cooking, cooking, at least once a week for friends or dinner parties, trying to be ‘green’ as possible, local, somewhat organic, simple, and delicious. I came up with an Egg Tostada highlighting the ‘whites’ and ‘yolks’, it’s about perspective in this dish. There’s no secret that I don’t like eggs so I have been trying to figure my way around it. I turned the egg whites into the ‘tostada’ and the yolks as the topping adding onions, olives, mushrooms and herbs. I actually enjoyed my little egg concoction!



I went up to SF last weekend and had a hoot at the farmer’s market. I am completely in love with Cowgirl Creamery’s, Mt Tam (fittingly) and Blue Bottle’s individual dripped coffee, all found at the Embarcardero! I bought goodies and whipped up dinner for a few friends. We kicked it back German style with a pan-fried Veal Weinersnitzel(and no, it's not a hot dog but breaded cutlets) accompanied by Wild Hedgehog Mushrooms and Cavolo nero in Pasta. A selection of Winter vegetables (Watermelon Radishes, Radicchio, Carrots, and Cauliflower) transformed into a Bagna cauda dish. Bagna cauda comes from Northern Italy typically made with salt cured anchovies and garlic. I found the rare to find anchovies to be unassuming yet making the sauce still feel special. Another key to was the toasted panko on top, crunchy and satisfying. Just another way to make those vegetables shine!

Bagna Cauda Dressing

2 T Butter
2 T Olive Oil
5 Garlic cloves
1 or 2 salt cured Anchovies
1 t Fresh thyme

Simmer butter and olive oil with garlic, thyme, and anchovies, warm for 15 minutes and let steep. Pour on blanched vegetables of choice!

No comments: