Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Momentous Tuesday



Frick, 15 minutes until the polls open and I have to get to work on time. I am a good citizen; my grandfather would be proud, I roll out of bed and get dressed to the news, “California primaries are vital in ’08,” they are saying. I get the chills, not sure if it’s from my 30 degree apartment or the anticipation of my first voting experience. Yes, I have felt shame ever since ’04 when Al Gore lost, I lived in Pennsylvania at the time which was a swing state, and worse of all, was registered in Virginia.

I walk outside my door 50 feet to the polling place, South Pasadena Chambers of Commerce. To my surprise, I am the first one there and am awarded the 000001 ticket. It takes no time to ‘punch’ the vote but a few minutes to check over the ballot ensuring I chose the right candidate.

On the way to work, I listen to American the Beautiful; very fitting as the snow capped mountains are in plain sight. Darn it. I wish I had the song, “I’m proud to be an American where at least I know I’m free” song on Tammy’s Jammies, shoot.

Even if my candidate doesn’t win, I can look back and say that I voted in the election where the first woman or black candidate ran for president, a defining moment in history indeed! Thus paving the way for Snoop to run for president one day….free chicken and waffles for everyone...a girl can dream can't she?!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am proud of you! Obama '08

VP said...

dags, that's awesome,.... American the beautiful as part of Tammie's Jammies?

cool.

Anonymous said...

Ong would have been proud of you! Go, Hilary '08