Sunday, March 15, 2009

Continuing on.... my trip to New Zealand, part I

The Pavilion at Colac Bay
My shack

Stewart Island
Minced Meat and Cheese Pie!

After Vietnam, I headed to New Zealand to WWOOF. It was a long trip, stopping in Kuala Lampur, Malaysia and then to Auckland, NZ and finally to my final destination of Invercargill. Invercargill, pretty much on the most Southern tip of the South Island of NZ a.k.a, middle of no where!

Woofing stands for Worldwide Organization of Organic Farming. I chose New Zealand because I had heard of the incredible produce and the beauty of their land, not to mention, I wanted to volunteer somewhere English was spoken. The first place I worked was a restaurant called the Pavilion on Colac Bay. My living quarters was a shack on the premises, 40 feet from the Bay. The room consisted of a TV with no reception, 2 twin beds, a small heater and tons of blankets, and the bathroom/shower in the restaurant. I was definitely in for an adventure. I worked 7-8 hours a day, prepping, watching the young Chef Daniel at work. Every night the restaurant pulled in 40-50 people, one night, we did 135 people, a record for the restaurant!


It was a lonely but eye opening week as I hiked around town and hit the scene in the boones of New Zealand. The best things I ate that week was Stewart Island salmon at the Pavilion and minced meat and cheese pie at Stellas. They are really known for the salmon, mussels, oysters, shellfish in general down in the South. And they love their pies in New Zealand, savory ones; lamb, minced meat, and even chicken curry. The worse moment was the trek on a ferry boat to Stewart Island, the rockiest and most sea sick hour ever! I also did not enjoy the howling wind as I tried to sleep at night, praying that my little hut would not blow over!

I met some great folks mainly Americans, Jean from Buffalo and Harmony from Texas. They really healed the short lived homesickness. Jean was actually gracious to let me stay in her home, warm and cozy. And Harmony too who rescued me with money for a $100 taxi cab at the one crazy night. At the end of my stay, I cooked the staff a meal of my own; Vietnamese Chicken Cabbage Salad, Miso Glazed Stewart Island Salmon, and Soba Noodles with Vegetables.

Julie my Woofing Host was the sweetest woman and unfortunately, shortly after I left, her son, Miles passed away suddenly while surfing. I did get a chance to hang out with Miles one night, only 26, he had great stories of his travels and life. May he rest in peace. I’ll never forget that little town of Colac Bay, quaint, quiet, away from all the hustle and bustle, makes me realize how simple life can really be.

No comments: