Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Palm Springs











A typical bachelorette party consists of strippers, leopard prints, girls gone wild, and penis ice cubes... gottta love em. I’ve actually only been to two, both which I hosted, and neither had any of the above mentioned! This one fell into the same category and was so much fun, especially since my 2 cohorts of the century were joining along, Gerlyn and Carly, both from the VT days. Sarah Dodge was the guest of honor and I planned out a menu specifically for her vegetarian needs.















Leaving LA at the peak hour for heavy traffic, we made it to Palm Springs in just under 4 hours (it normally takes 2), just for Gerlyn since she lives in NY and doesn’t get to experience much of it! The menu I designed was Mid-century since Sarah and her fiancées’ wedding theme is Mid- century modern.
>br< >br<

I should also mention I’m super flattered that Sarah asked me to consult on her wedding menu. I came up with some suggestions after a bit of research. Back then, Betty Crocker, TV dinners and canned soup were just hitting the scene. What does this all mean…comfort food and convenience! Very similar to what we are seeing now in restaurants but in smaller portions. I read recipes for multiple kinds of casseroles, tidbits wrapped in blankets, grilled meats/kabobs (the backyard BBQs starts!), and the Baked Alaska which I have never understood. See this link for more ‘decade’ type foods.







Back to Palm Springs, the house was AMAZING with great entertaining amenities; it had 4 bedrooms and 3 baths, fully decorated in the typical modern design that Palm Springs is best known for, with marble slab kitchen counter tops, an Eco dining table, an awesome bar area, and a pool that puts the Standard Hotel's pool to shame. I had a field day with the stove in the Kitchen but had to cut down my 1950s theme to a modern California theme with Tofu and Beef burgers.









Highlights of the weekend were karaoking, lounging by the pool, cheese & snacks galore, Reyna eating red meat, James Dean, Sarah in her fluffy heels, truffle French fries, a bad ass naked Pam Grier painting, late night cooking, and, of course making new friends! Thanks ladies and see you at Dodge’s Wedding!
















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That house looks dope - I think I will rent it out for a girl's weekend :)

Unknown said...

that was so much fun! i have yet to attempt to recreate your amazing brussell sprouts...i'm scared :)

looking forward to the wedding!

N. Kenyatta Gray said...
This comment has been removed by the author.