Friday, November 13, 2009

Greece - Athens and Santorini




view from hotel, Aegean Sea
black sand beach in Santorini
stray cats all over!
moussaka
fava bean puree
marinated octopus
sea bream
tomato keftedes
tzatziki
saganaki
baklava
more moussaka
theater of dionysus
the partheon
ouzo and raki

chicken stuffed pastry and Pizza





Alright, it's time for me to share pictures with you from my trip. I've been a little traumatized since I came back, caught some sort of stomach virus and am finally off the anti-biotic and most importantly can eat normally, woo-hoo!!!





Greece was awesome, from the old ruins in Athens to the Santorini hospitality, it was all very beautiful. The only gripe I have was the weather in which we endured torrential downpour and a bit of flooding. Nonetheless, we took advantage and ate and drank well. My favorite dishes were Tzatziki, no where else can you beat the fresh quality yogurt and then there's the authentic moussaka. Of course, every restaurant had Eggplant salad and Spanikopita but surprisingly no hummus instead a fava bean puree which was mediocre at best. The Seafood was extremely fresh but when it came to the table, was poorly executed, either overdone or undercooked. One of my favorite dishes was fried kefalotiri cheese with bacon and honey and another neat cheese dish was the popular saganaki.






Most of the amazing views were from our Hotel rooms; looking off the cliffs onto the Aegean Sea with 'active' Volcano in the background in Santorini and the sun setting behind the Acropolis in Athens, truly breath taking.







The Greek love to drink Ouzo, a licorice tasting liquor that I could not seem to swallow. I enjoyed it's cousin, Turkish Raki much better. As for the wine, they claim that Santorini has the best of the best, I disagree, any California table wine is way better.





This was just the first half of my trip, an Istanbul post is up next!

No comments: