Monday, August 29, 2011

Langer's vs. Katz's - West vs. East Coast Pastrami Debate

I must say that I'm not the biggest fan of pastrami.  But that all changed about a week ago when I got my hands on a Pastrami sandwich from Katz's and then a week later from Langer's.  I've been meaning to go to Katz's (NY) and Langer's (LA) for years now for their famed meat and finally hit both!

There has been tons of debate on who has the better pastrami and personally, it's about perspective and how your taste buds are feeling that day.  Trying to be a diplomat, I loved both but have to have to put my 2 cents in!

So here it is...if I had to choose....I prefer Langer's pastrami ---it's perfectly tender with the right amount of salt, spices and the meat to bread ratio is right on.  However, I feel that Katz's bread is better.  Langer's bread is supposedly double baked but to my surprise...a little too baked for me!  I like my rye bread soft, with caraway seeds lingering to hold it's own against the almighty powerful pastrami.  NO thank you to additions of cole slaw, swiss cheese or russian dressing...love my pastrami sandwiches plain with deli mustard.

I ordered Matzo ball soup at both locations. Hands down, winner is Katz's Deli, broth was delectable and Matzo ball perfectly cooked with a touch of chicken fat that made it superior in flavor. One of the best of I had!

So, what about you? Up for the Langer's vs. Katz's challenge???!!! I'm always willing to hear your story!



Pastrami at Langer's - LA

Matzo Ball Soup - Langer's - LA

Pastrami at Katz's Deli - NY -
Sorry no picture of their great Matzo Ball Soup

1 comment:

Michelle N. said...

Ugh Wish I had eaten at Langers when I was in LA!!!