Friday, August 5, 2011

Vietnamese 'Banh Mi'

What's with this Banh Mi craze?  Check out these LA restaurants that serve Banh Mi the non traditional way.  I will be the first to admit that I'm not in love with the Banh Mi sandwich, maybe it's cause of the pig's ear head cheese or the excess mayo they usually slather on.  But lately, I've been craving it and making it my own way sounded like the best solution. 

It's all about the bread or shall I say baguette. My fav is from La Brea. I made 3 kinds for friends and fam; The true and trident with Parisian Ham (Jambon de Paris) & Pate, no head cheese (haha), then a 5-Spice Chicken Banh Mi and Lemongrass Beef Banh Mi for a twist. I used banana peppers in place of pickled vegetables, a move that may be controversial yet the secret ingredient in my eyes!

Recipe after the pictures.




My family gave this a thumbs up!

Banh Mi Thit - Ham and Pate

5-Spice Chicken Banh Mi
Lemongrass Beef Banh Mi

Banh Mi 'Thit' aka Ham and Pate

1 Whole French Baguette
8-10 slices of Jambon de Paris or close equivalent
4-6 oz of Pate, preferably Duck
2-4 oz of Banana Peppers
2-4 oz of Cucumber, preferably Persian
8-10 sprigs of Cilantro
1 Jalapeno, sliced thinly
4 oz Butter, unsalted
Salt and Pepper

1.  Toast baguette until crispy, usually 5-7 minutes at 375 degrees F.  Once slightly cooled, slice lengthwise.
2.  Spread butter on top half, than pate on bottom half.
3.  Add ham, cucumber, cilantro, banana peppers, jalapenos. 
4.  Salt and pepper.
4.  Cut into pieces or sandwiches.   


No comments: