Thursday, March 22, 2007

Cooking THE Ghetto Gourmet


One of my defining moments occurred about 2 months ago. I was browsing the Ghetto Gourmet site checking out the next events in LA and little to my surprise, there it was, GG in LA, 3/22, “Join us as Chef Tammy Tu prepares a 4 course meal at a lovely space in Brentwood” $50 per person, SOLD OUT!

It started last October when I attended a dinner and was enamored (see my December Archives) by this ‘underground supper club’. Long story short, I told Jeremy (the founder) I was interested to cook at an event and after a few phone calls, assisting in another Ghetto Gourmet event, and a few months later, I was invited to be a Chef! It was like having my own restaurant for one night! I sat down to prepare a 4 course menu with a reasonable budget for 40 guests. I knew I wanted to create dishes that were extremely detailed with garnishes, sauces, and highlighted, Spring. After all, I was cooking on the first day after the arrival of one of my favorite seasons.

In season for Spring are bountiful green vegetables such as Asparagus, Peas, Ramps (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_leek ), Scallions, Nettles, than there’s Radishes, Cauliflower, New Potatoes. As far as fruits, red, like Rhubarb, Strawberries and proteins...Lamb, Salmon, and Trout, just in time for Easter.

The week before the event I finalized the menu, 2 days before the dinner, Jeremy called to say the head count was up to 55! Awesome, BRING it!!! The day before was all prepping and the day of, I was ready to go, just needed to get everything to the house safely and COOK. The house was situated on the edge of Brentwood Hills, gorgeous architecturally, built in the 1950s, art deco/modern syle and not like the typical Spanish or Craftsman style home in LA. I actually know the owner, an event planner whom I often get a few gigs from, hence I felt extremely comfortable in the kitchen.

My cousins and friends came to the event which probably put me on edge more than normal but I was excited! There was another honorable guest, a contestant from Top Chef, Suyai (http://www.bravotv.com/Top_Chef_2/bios/suyai_steinhauer.shtml ) who watched intensely as I cooked.

The verdict: AWESOME. All dishes went out successfully and now I have prepared a sit down dinner for over 50 people. I could not have done it without my new found kitchen staff and the support of my family and friends. It was crazy fun, a lot of work, and just cool. Big thanks to Jeremy and the Ghetto Gourmet. See my pictures!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looks awesome tammy!! congratulations..wish i'd been in town for it...