Monday, May 14, 2007

Fundraisers, Baby Showers, Bachelorette Parties



Starting out as Personal Chef, I told myself I’d never ‘cater’ a.k.a. do birthday parties, showers, pretty much functions that I had to present ‘buffet’ style. But I learned that in life, you just have to make exceptions to the rule. My first compromise consisted of cooking at a Hollywood Fundraiser with David Lieberman. You know Dave Lieberman of the Food Network?! Well, lucky for me, he just quit his show and moved over from NY. Thanks to knowing someone who knows someone, we were introduced and he happened to need a few good chefs to cook with him. Of course, I could not say no and next thing I knew there I was plating out food for David Lieberman. We cooked many dishes but one of the cool ones was using Baby Gem Lettuce fresh from the Santa Monica Farmer’s market which was each individually served. Another neat one was, Dave’s ‘Sunday Sauce’ which was just a tomato sauce with ‘leftovers’ as he called it, of pulled beef brisket, pork sausages, and meatballs. It was awesome to work with Dave and interesting to see how a Celebrity Chef does things. http://www.davecooks.net/



Next, baby shower…usually I find them quite boring, filled with women ooo-ing and awww-ing over baby clothes, endless gift opening, and so many shades of pink and blue that make you think Easter has arrived. I love doing things for good people and a friend of mine was hosting the party for her friend who also happens to be married to the lead singer of the Indie Rock band, Gomez. could not say no either, especially when she told me the theme was Cinco de Mayo and men would be invited and plenty of alcohol served! She asked me to a create a menu devoted to Mexican, easy enough for me! Vegetable and Spinach Taquitos, Potato and English Pea Flautas, Roasted Chille Rellenos with Squash, Baja Shrimp Skewers, Chicken and Cheese Chimichurri Subs, Aztec Quinoa Salad, and a Spinach Jicama Salad were served. I had a fab time cooking, meeting a few musicians, more people in the ‘industry’, and enjoying a Margarita.
Lastly, organizing a Bachelorette party from cross country is a tough task, especially when I wanted to cook for it. After all, I had no idea where to order food from and costs would have be crazy, especially in New York City. I was so gracious to Gerlyn who offered up her rooptop deck for the main event. I am glad I cooked, more than anything, it was a way to express my happiness for my cousin, Hien. More on this party to come…..in the meantime, please read my cousin, Michelle's take on the party! http://www.themaltesebacon.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous. I wish I could hang out with you and Ger.