Monday, April 30, 2007

What is good wine anyway?



Living in Spain was the beginning of my affair with red wines... because before I was just a beer drinking fool. I used to drink a few glasses of Rioja every night at the local tapas joint. Rioja is Spain’s most famous red wine region. Tempranillo is the main grape grown there, usually producing a medium bodied wine with cherry and berry flavors that always remind me of those spring nights in Salamanca. When I came back, I was obsessed with just Spanish wines, then switched to wines from France, St. Emillion region (Merlot grapes) and Macon-Villages (Pinot Noir grapes). It wasn’t until about 2 years ago, that I realized I had not tasted anything as amazing as a little Italian wine, named Gaja. http://www.terlatowines.com/wines/italy/gaja/

I was lucky enough to visit Gaja Vineyards in the Piedmont region of Italy and had a private tasting. You have to understand and appreciate that Mr. Angelo Gaja is the ‘god' of wine in Italy. There we had a chance to taste 3 wines. As it decanted for an hour, Stefano (the sommelier) discussed the process in detail, the Gaja family, and the gift of opening up a wine 15 years after it’s original vintage year. I bought a few bottles back and opened one just 3 weeks ago. Only waiting 5 years, but the wine was still extraordinary!

There are many wonderful wines from California. Amongst my many favorites are Silver Oak, Duck Horn, La Crema, Rodney Strong, Chateau St. Jean reserves.



Two weeks ago, I visited Sonoma and in comparison to Napa, so much better! Lots of beauty, hillsides and pastures reminiscent of the country side of Europe and most importantly, the tastings are less expensive with very attentive service. I am definitely not an expert in wine only the beginning stages but am amazed by the process, art, and many facets of what a gorgeous grape can turn into.

No comments: