Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Week 1 - Going Green



Anyways, here I am after a week of going green. I found myself carrying a re-usable shopping bag to Bristol Farms today. In case of you who didn’t know, Bristol Farms double their prices compared to any supermarket in SoCal. They cater to the ‘high class’ clientale and am awe how they survive. I feel bad for shopping there but only bought 3 items worth $12. I couldn’t resist buying Spider rolls with soft shell crab, afterall, where I am going to get my fix for this seasonal delight. My point is I balanced everything by shopping at the Farmer’s Market this morning at the neighboring town of Alhambra.

Back to the point of this post, I did well this week. Cooking ‘green’ 4 times, both at home and at work. The rest of times, eating out, at other people’s homes, eating cereal, and cooking at work non-green. I made a few new dishes like open face vegetable sandwiches with broccoli, caramelized onions, roasted corn, and tomatoes, ricotta and red sauce pasta with summer vegetables, a meal for my cousin -stone fruit summer salad with golden beets, caramelized balsamic pine nuts, tandoori chicken (locally grown) with zucchini and balsmati rice and my last meal of the week RAW fava bean, green beans, and broccoli salad. Oh and get this, I even got coffee at a few local places around the corner. GO ME!

What I learned in week #1:
1.The people who mock you for doing this…secretly want to do it themselves.
2. Locations of all farmer’s markets are in the city of LA, proper, not in the I.E. (Inland Empire)
3.Go green in other ways like not drying clothes, walking/biking, composting, gardening.
4. Bananas, pineapples, or mangoes are not local to LA.

1 comment:

Hien and Dylan said...

Tams, you're finally a believer in organic foods...I knew the West Coast would convert you.