Monday, July 9, 2007

Weeks 2 and 3….and 4??? – Going Green

Alright, week 2 was a bit tough as I had visitors, dad, step-mom, and half-bro, also the old Philly roommate, Sarah. I admit I fell off the wagon earlier in the week and bought food from McDonalds and Del Taco after a late night of going out….ahhh….gasp, you say. I feel the same way and knew that taking a picture of yuckiness would ensure that I’d never want to eat it again. This didn’t stop me from eating In N’ Out! Oh, come on, it was after a Dodgers game!!! I had to show my bro the true LA experience! FYI, I know the company who sells equipment to the company who mass produces those deliciously FRESH RAW beef patties and yes, the fries are fresh too, come on, they are soggy! Have I redeemed myself slightly???

Week 3, I went to New York, and had an eating extravaganza (upcoming NY Tour post soon)!!! So, here I sit, beginning of week 4, with the nearest farmer’s market not til Thursday. Hence, I break down and visit Von’s where I try to find local produce or at least California grown. I find white peaches, thank goodness! I mosey over to the Rainier Cherries, so sweet and the bag reads, ‘made in the U.S.’ These beauties are named after Mount Rainier in Washington State. Oh, throw me a bone, they are the BEST at this time of year, hopefully they were imported from there! Then I site spinach which I love! 'Packed by Fresh Express in central California,' it says, good enough right? Although Fresh Express is a huge conglomerate, oh wait, aren’t I employed by an even bigger company!? I look for tomatoes, they look beautiful of course it’s summer, a closer look, yikes…imported from Canada and Mexico. I definitely don't buy!

In summary, where do we draw the line? Since my experiment, I find all over the news, magazines, msn.com, green houses, green companies, green clothes, even Ellen D. has a week long show dedicated to going green, it’s crazy. Maybe I was never aware, my cousin says, where have you been? Her classmates have done a whole study on solar power panels for the past year. Ooopsy. Alright, I can’t be hard on myself, it’s better late than never. I watch the people who stroll down the canned goods and frozen food aisles, wow. At least, my two aisles are the produce and cheese section.

So, Is this experiment over? Nah, not really. I am going to try my best to shop once a week at the farmer’s market and be aware of buying local goods. I learned other ways of going green that slowly but surely I will incorporate it into life. If anything, I’ve realized that we want our kids to enjoy nature, every bit helps.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Riotous. I'll throw you a bone.

Anonymous said...

Sell out!