Saturday, June 16, 2007

Teaching Teenage Girls to Cook

Kids will be kids not matter what age. They live a care free life with no worries of money, jobs, paying taxes, and ‘settling down’ as my parents tell me. I watch my little nephews run about with the childlike giggle and am envious. Same as I observed my 13 year clients gab and joke amongst their friends. You heard me right….my clients/students were 4 -13 year old young ladies for an evening. For 3 hours, I taught them about various cheeses from France, Denmark, Italy, and Holland hoping to instill the importance of traveling. I also showed them 3 different ways to make pizza without using the old traditonal pizza dough. We used flour tortillas, corn tortillas (due to gluten allergens), and portabello mushrooms. I encouraged creativity by saying that cooking was like an art, just like using a brush and colors but only with vegetables, fruit, and proteins on a plate. My finale was mango sorbet, refreshing in the summer, another lesson, sweet but healthy.

In the end, it was nice teaching these kids, not sure if they will retained any information but as long as they were having fun...fitting for summer vacation! Here are witty 13 year old comments they shared with me:

“Absolutely amazing food Chef Tammy”
“This meal was fabulous and gorgeous”
“Why aren’t you fat since you a Chef…and why aren’t you anorexic?"

No comments: