Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Meyer Lemon Season


It’s Meyer lemon season and time to think of crazy dishes with lemons. Acidic, tart, tingly, lemons, what to do with them in winter? What comes to mind is as simple as a Tart. Lemon tarts were my first Food Science project in Richmond, Virginia. The supermarket chain, Ukrops’ Supermarkets, religious in beliefs, does not sell alcohol in their stores and is closed on Sundays. I may add they are the #1 grocery store in Southern VA and on Forbes list top 100 companies to work for… with what I call ludicrous beliefs (the no alcohol policy, of course). Known for their prepared goods such as Chocolate Pecan Pies, Chicken Salad, White House Rolls, Lemon tarts was one of their lighter specialty items. One time, we had to taste all their pies in one sitting to determine whether or not they were ‘of quality.’ Maybe this is why I started tolerating sweets.

Anyways, I always compare any Lemon tart to Ukrops’. So, when I found this recipe in Suzanne Goins’ Sunday Suppers, I had to try it. Of course, I had to adlib a few ingredients here and there and let me tell you, one should not be as whimsical with baking as cooking. It did turn out nicely as I got lucky. I used my own pie crust (book refers to a recipe for Pate Sucre) and made what I like to call ‘rays of sunshine’. Meyer lemons are the off-the-hook good and IMOH, more gentle on the palette.

Pick up a few when you see them at your local farmer’s market or Whole Foods… by the way, I am a vital member and on the Board of the Meyer Lemon committee. Does that even exist?

Recipe as follows:

Tammy’s ‘go to’ Pie dough – makes 2 – 9” tarts

6 oz Water, ice


6 oz Margarine


6 oz Butter, unsalted


12 oz Pastry Flour


6 oz Bread Flour


1/8 t Salt



1 T Sugar

1. Blend margarine and butter by hand or with processor.


2. Measure out dry ingredients - pastry flour, bread flour, sugar, and salt.


3. Incorporate butter/margarine mixture with dry ingredients, do not knead but gently ‘massage’ together.


4. Slowly add ice water to form dough – should be slightly dry/flaky.


5. Refrigerate and let rest for at least 15 minutes if using immediately (dough needs to be refrigerated for next day use or for later use, can freeze).


6. When you are rolling out dough, use flour.


Suzanne Goins’ Lemon Tart


2 oz Bittersweet chocolate


4 Extra large eggs


3 Extra large yolks


1 cup plus 1 T sugar


1 cup Meyer lemon juice


10 T cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces.

1. Whisk eggs, egg yolks, sugar and lemon juice in a pot.


2. Cook over medium heat with whisk and rubber spatula.


3. Lemon ‘curd’ should form and consistency should be of pastry cream and coats back of the spoon.


4. Remove curd from heat and add butter a little at a time.


5. Let curd cool 10 minutes and then strain.


6. Melt chocolate.


7. Blind bake tarts at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.


8. Spread chocolate in tarts and add lemon curd on top.


9. Chill in refrigerator for at least a half an hour before eating.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

For your dough... why do you use some butter and some margarine?

Tammy Tu said...

The original recipe actually calls for all margarine no butter but since I am trying to cut down on 'trans fat' I wanted to substitute butter in. I bet you can actually just take out ALL of the margarine and use butter.

Anonymous said...

Sweet. I hate margarine!

Anonymous said...

not only was the Myer Lemon tart delicious the photo of your creation is very artistic. Maybe you should add photography as one of your new years resolutions. As I was flying like a bird while bungee jumping, i only wished i had someone good to capture the moment on film. Your skills will come in handy for your bungee jumping experience.