Friday, October 9, 2009

BBQ Ribs


Ribs are a real treat for me just cause I am surrounded by non pork eaters so if I do eat it, I’ll have to eat mass quantities by myself. So, for a BBQ one night, I found me some pork lovers and tried my hand at ribs.




BBQ experts like to use a rub and a sauce with the Ribs. The rub penetrates the meat overnight, the next day the meat gets slow roasted and the sauce is slathered on as the meat finishes up on the grill. There are many techniques to cooking ribs but I find the best is to slow roast in the oven at 250 degrees for 4-6 hours. Then finish on the grill with barbecue sauce for 30 minutes.

I could only slow roast for 2 hours this time. The meat wasn’t as tender but was still full of flavor. After reading multiple recipes, I came up with a Barbecue sauce. It turned out pretty decent and had a little of of sweet, sour, and smokiness. Here’s the recipe:




1 cup Ketchup




1/4 cup Dijon Mustard




3/4 cup Cider Vinegar




½ cup Water




2 T Honey




2T Brown sugar, dark




2 T Garlic, chopped




3 T Yellow onion, chopped




Chipotle spice




Salt




Pepper




Chili Flakes





1. Combine all ingredients into a sauce pan and whisk until incorporated.




2. Simmer sauce for 15 minutes, add salt and pepper as needed and chili flakes
if desired.




3. Use as sauce on side or brush on ribs.

No comments: