Thursday, October 12, 2006

Grandparent’s Death Annivesary

Suckling Pig, The Alter, and my grandparent's as teens!



Grandparent’s Death Annivesary

For those of you that are unfamiliar with this ritual, Buddhists celebrate their loved ones death anniversary. It is extremely important and can even overshadow birthdays as a family celebration. My grandmother died exactly 20 years ago and my grandfather 5 years ago. We were all supposed to get together this year, my 11 aunts/uncles and their children, my 27 cousins, and also 14 second cousins, and unfortunately could not. My mom, a few other aunts and uncles held their own celebrations on the East Coast.

On this day, it was good to spend time with family and reflect on what my grandparents gave to us. We usually start off by preparing the food, traditional pork dishes like sausage/bolony, sweet rice, steamed chicken, steamed pork with crispy skin, and other goodies. My aunt ordered suckling pig this year. If it wasn’t for my grandparents' courage, perseverance, and support, we would not be in America today. For each of us, my grandparent's represented something different. For me, they instilled loyalty, hard work, and adventure seeking! Thank you Ong and Ba for everything and I miss you!

No comments: