Saturday, October 14, 2006

Manhatten to Hermosa Beach



I woke up this morning like a typical Saturday, a little groggy from the Friday evening out before. I wanted to do something different today, I wanted to go to the beach. After all, I do live about 20 minutes from the beach, I need to take advantage. I pulled myself out of bed at 9:30 and got dressed to go jogging. I had a bit of trouble with my shin splits so I thought running on the beach would be perfect. I hear stories that running on the beach are the best for you knees, legs, ankles.

It was cloudy and dreary all morning in Pasadena and I drove over to Subway to get a sandwich. I needed some carbs for the run, Turkey on wheat, veggies and mustard. I must say I have more respect for the Subway chain after my meal, it was simple and hit the spot…I also had some ‘Baked Lays (sour cream and onion chips)’. I had half of these delights before my run. I arrived at Manhattan beach as the sun broke, and it was all blue skies from then on. I grabbed my ipod and headed for the beach. I had never run on sand before and was extremely anxious, jogging for the shoreline. I ran by the shore and I was running on ‘wet’ sand. The goal was to run to Hermosa Pier. With the sun beating on me and panting heavily to what seemed to be the hardest I had ever in life, many thoughts went through my head. I was going delirious, running up and down the shoreline, sun beating on my face and thought about how my mom would sign at me for I forgot my sunglasses and sunscreen.

I finally made it to the Pier, 1.3 miles in 20 minutes later. I walked back to Manhattan Beach properly on the bike trail and enjoyed the scene. The houses were amazing, big, quaint, all typical California beach living. The luckiest…dogs lounging on the beach chairs, the fit volleyball players drinking beer, the 30 year old moms running with the strollers, the 40 year men riding skate boards and most of all, the pure beauty and smell of the water. Today’s date is October 14 and I was running by the ocean where people were actually sunbathing around me!!?? I love California.






No comments: