Sunday, December 24, 2006

Christmas East Coast style



I was delighted to spend a full week at home, back East, I needed a change in weather! The holidays are always filled with love, family/friends, laughter and of course food! We usually gather at my aunt’s house and my aunts all make different dishes. I prepared Braised Beef Short Ribs and Yukon Gold Mash Potatoes while my mother prepared her famous, Salade Russe (Russian Salad). My uncle brought Oysters and shuckedabout 50 outside with glass of wine in hand. We were all treated to his Baked Oysters, garnished with spring onions and parm cheese. Other dishes were Pork Tenderloin, Red Mashed Potatoes, Garlic Buttered Shrimp, Vietnamese Spring rolls, Skewered Chicken, and my aunt’s newest addition of pear, walnut and apple salad. Desserts were the typical Buche de Noel which I have never found a liking to since birth and my cousin Margaret’s home-made “petit fours”.

Christmas day, I was lucky enough to cook in my aunt’s state of art kitchen for a small group of family members. Highlights were the Seafood ‘Trio’ of Poached Shrimp and Avocado Salsa, Blue Crabcakes with Red Pepper Aioli, and Sashimi of Scallops poached in Leek Beet and Goat Cheese ‘Napoleon’, Mint Persillade Crusted Baby Rack of Lamb with a Pomegranate Reduction, Quinoa w/Brussel sprout leaves and rainbow chard and for dessert that DARNED Buche de Noel again, my Poached Pears in Red Wine w/Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, and assorted Chocolate Truffles.

I cooked for my friends one night in Baltimore too and even visited Philly where it all started, my food journey! Being back East reminded me of dreary, cold but Christmas like weather which I really did appreciate! Thanks to all that let me cook for them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is when Tammy and I worked together at her 1st job after college at Ukrop's (Richmond VA) she couldn't cook ANYTHING! Actually, she hardly DID any cooking while I knew her. I'm so impressed, just mad that I can't sample any of this delectable gourmet food she's created! Way to go, Tammy.