Saturday, December 2, 2006

Tacos!


Back East, I grew up living off of Taco Bell and the local Tippy’s Taco House, this was our extent of Mexican cuisine. Naturally when I moved to the west coast and had my first taco I was horrified! I hated these tacos, I mean seriously, why do you need 2 corn tortillas and why are they not hard corn or soft flour (like at TB) and for the love of god, where is the sour cream, cheddar cheese and ground beef?

I am proud to say I have come full circle because I understand the function of each ingredient in the West Coast Taco. Let’s start off with the tortillas, not one but two hold up condiments and drippings of the meat of choice. The tortilla consisting of corn masa flour, not fried but steamed, generates that authentic corn flavor. Sour cream and cheddar cheese smothers it all, so crispy Napa cabbage, roasted salsa, lime, and Mexican Cotija cheese suffice perfectly. My favorite tacos are ‘lengua’ and ‘cabeza’, yes this does translate to tongue and head in Spanish, the meat is tender and delicious. I can’t even begin to describe fish tacos; mahi-mahi, swordfish and a new one for me, Salmon.

If you want to live a full life and never have had a Taco west coast style, I highly suggest one. Give me a call, I’ll be first to take you to the local late night Taco Truck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love how on every (or almost) article there are pictures of food..
I mean i know it goes with the theme..
NICE!

Xxxx