Friday, December 1, 2006

Thanksgiving

We all love or dread the Thanksgiving holiday. For me, I enjoy catching up with family, watching football, and most of seeing my aunts faces as their ‘specialty’ dish is served for the annual feast. Incredibly proud as they display the dish they have taken the time to prepare all day. I was lucky enough to have my mother visit from the East coast this year. She is a great cook whom I have appreciated all my life but cooking wise, just recently, even more than ever. I had the chance to watch her bake in my apartment, ‘Tarte Tatin’, the classic French dessert she has perfected!

My aunt Thanh is more inspiration for cooking as she prepared me a 4 course French meal when I was just 12 years old. She was the cook and hostess for the evening in Redondo Beach. She prepared the important dishes; the bird, gravy, stuffing, sweet potatoes, salad, appetizers, and a special ‘Pork Tenderloin braised in Red wine and Black Olives.’ I came early just to give her a hard time in the kitchen which did not go over well as she was preparing for 20 people. She asked me to make the vegetables so I made ‘Deconstructed’ Green Bean Casserole and Roasted Bacon wrapped Asparagus. My aunt Hanh made a delectable ‘Salade Russe’ a classic French cold salad consisting of crab meat, potatoes, carrots, peas, mayonnaise. She threw in red beets and shrimp as a twist. Tim, my cousin, made mashed potatoes. We had store bought Pumpkin and Pecan pie, while a guest brought over a twist of flan and white cake from a Vietnamese bakery. I attempted something interesting, Pumpkin Panna Cotta topped with Caramelized Apples.

All and all, it was great to see my little cousins running rampid and share some food, wine, and conversation with my family. Prompts to my aunt Trang who chowed down on the wing of the Turkey, gotta love it.

No comments: