Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The Philly Cheesesteak




I went to Culinary school in Philly and lived there for 2 years. I was not really fond of the cheesesteak when I lived there because I was in my ‘no beef’ kick. In fact, I was so into it that when my mom visited who rarely eats beef begged me to get her a true authentic Philly cheesesteak. I insisted no and tried to tell her the Chicken was just as good….she hasn’t forgiven me to this day!

I finally enjoyed cheesesteaks my roommate Sarah, dragged me to the old Pat vs. Geno’s corridor. Pat’s Steaks and Geno’s Steaks are literally right across from each other competing for who is Philly’s #1 Cheesesteak producer! There is a difference between both. Geno’s serves the sliced beef version, while Pat’s chops their beef as us non-Philadelphians are used to. I, personally like both but admire Geno’s cheese fries (with Cheez Whiz) which Sarah has to have not 1 or 2, but 3 squirts of Ketchup to add. What else is there to know about the Philly Cheesesteak? You MUST and I mean MUST eat it with Cheez Whiz, yes, you heard me…the fake processed gooey cheese! Oh, not to mention of the addition of grilled/fried onions and that squirt of Ketchup (via Sarah) and now my own version of Mustard as well. I have to mention that the ‘rolls’ are what makes the Philly cheesesteak, perfectly soft but not hard or stale, baked fresh by Amoroso Bakery. Locals say that the rolls are unique because of the Schuylkill River water.

How do you go about ordering something like this? The key word ‘wit whiz’. ‘Wit’ stands for ‘with fried onions’, while let’s say you just wanted only whiz, you say, ‘one, wiz, please’. The incorrect way to order is, ‘can I please get a cheesesteak with cheez wiz’? No, only a few syllables are allowed, if not, kicked back to the end of the line! In fact, I even saw it first hand, a guy got kicked out of the line when ordering (either that or he was really drunk, I only saw him getting hulled off)!

Bottom line, even if you don’t like Cheesesteaks or are vegetarians, just go for the experience as there is always at least a 20 minute wait…around both Pat’s or Geno’s!

No comments: