Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Washington, DC




Growing up, we lived 15 minutes outside of Washington DC, south of the city in Fairfax, Virginia. As a kid, we always had field trips to the Nation’s capitol, visiting museums like the Smithsonian, Air and Space, Natural History, American History, National Gallery of Art, then there was the White House, Washington Monument, the Capitol, where the House of Reps, Congress, and Senate meet. Oh, not to mention all those memorials, Lincoln, Jefferson, Vietnam, blah, blah, blah, boring, boring (at the time)!

When I went to college, I got full appreciation of the DC bar/club scene. My cousins who went to Georgetown would take me to not only there but Adam’s Morgan and Dupont Circle to hang out. Now, when I come back, the city is reminiscent of my childhood and youth and I enjoy every bit of the scenery. I find that it was a luxury growing up around all the history, culture, and politics of the nation's capital.

My mom and I went up to DC for the day and walked around to the Library of Congress and Capitol. We found the cutest French restaurant and enjoyed a perfect, simple bistro style lunch. We had a cabbage potage with mini ravioli w/bacon, mesclun mix greens, mussels steamed in Pernod and leeks, and sautéed calamari with pinenuts and balsamic vinegar. I enjoyed the day with Mom and explored a few new neighborhoods, Eastern Market and Capitol Hill.

One thing I love about home is also all of my friends and family, most of them are based around the area and I got a chance to see them all, including those loyal Hokie fans. Jess' Xmas tree lights are awesome and then Fess going to the VT vs. Georgia game, Jason almost there! Cooking for Summit and Radikka was awesome, while meeting up with old high school friends, Sara and Lindsey. Hanging with my cousins where it all started was great, thanks for taking me to my old local late night diner, Amphora...Duc and Steve!

No comments: